Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bad news for me and my foot

One of my best friends was absolutely lovely.... Drove me to the city..
We left Whistler at 5:45am just to make sure we made the appointment on time.

Got to the hospital before 8am..checked in.
We sat and Waited... and waited and waited (as you do in hospitals)

It was quite funny that we could tell the porters where each patient was that they were looking for..since we had nothing better to do than pay attention to all that was going on around us (while playing 2 rounds of iphone scrabble)
"the young family with the sick little toddler is behind the curtain of bed #4"
"The teen with a burned hand is behind the curtain over at bed #1"

2:30 Rolls around.. I go for my CT Scan

4:15.. I see the Doctor
He lays it on me.
You've got a lisfranc fracture- look it up on the internet to get the full history of the name and information about it.
YOu have injured your midfoot.. its a very rare fracture. 1 in 55thousand broken feet. It also has a very long recovery time and possibly not a full recovery.

FOr the next 12 weeks you need to stay off your foot. Put NO pressure on it.. do not STEP on it.
Right now you are at a 50% chance of every being able to Run, Dance, Play sports, Snowboard ever again.. if you step on your foot..your chances decrease.

I have chosen not to operate.. I hope your foot can heal itself.. in a few weeks we'll get another xray to see how you're doing. If the bones have shifted .. I will have to put pins in to keep them together.. but for now lets just do it this way.


So they gave me one of those air casts to keep my foot in place. ($160) and tried to sell me a SOck.. for $30.. yah right! (bought 10 pairs of fuzzy socks for the same price at walmart) and sent me on my way.

The rest of that day I spent crying while trying to tell my mum that I would be off work for 3 months..
My first broken bone... of course I had to break it REAL GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment